In this episode of the Dadliness Podcast, I (you just get me this time) share some thoughts about how the culture’s view of masculinity is important for us to face with our kids. I talk a lot about the documentary, The Mask You Live In, as a reference. Search for the documentary on Netflix and watch it.
- The Representation Project is the organization that produced the documentary.
- Miss Representation is a similar documentary for women. The film is also on Netflix.
In this Episode you will learn:
- Lies of Masculinity
- Athletic Ability = Masculinity
- Economic Success = Masculinity
- Sexual Conquest = Masculinity
- What can we do as Dads:
- Work on the issues with in you that aren’t true masculinity. You have to become aware of your issues and deal with them in order to help your kids.
- Be aware of how society is shaping the masculinity and femininity.
- Hyper- Masculinity and Femininity
- Bechdel Test
- Terms like “Be A Man”
- Start an open and honest dialogue about sex with your kids. Here are a few resources:
Teaching Your Children Healthy Sexuality by Jim Burns – This book has great tips on how to have/start a conversation with your kids about sex. I used this book when I was working at a church to help parents being the conversation with their kids. The book uses Christian principles to help lead this conversation.
- HomeWord.com is a great website with many different resources from Jim Burns and others for families.
- Who has What?: All About Girls’ Bodies and Boys’ Bodies by Robie Harris. (I haven’t read but seems to be a good book to start with and Robie has more resources)
- Please share any other resources you have used in the comments! We could all use help!